• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hurtworker

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Hello, I'm new to the forums but was looking for insite on my workers comp case. I was injured in 2003 and left with a 65% PPD rating on my lower right leg. I can not return to my previous job and am in school learning a new trade. The IC has been great about weekly checks and covering all medical and school needs. My question is, they called me last week to offer a settlement of 90k, I know this is low but what should I expect or accept in the form of money from them. My last job paid $15.50 an hour and I just enrolled in school and have 2 years left to get my degree. I may need one more surgery and medicine for pain and arthritis in my ancle joint. I'm not trying to get rich off this settlement just make up for the past two years and get some security until I'm doen with school. One last thing, I believe this is for a C and R settlement with no stimp. Any advice would be great or if you need more info I'll be happy to provide what I can. Thank You

tjr5150

If it just consist of your lower leg only that is a good offer.. You can alway's consult with an attorney for no fee without telling them about settlement offer and see what they tell you..

Hurtworker

Thank you for the advice. I have contacted two seperate lawfirms and they both said it wasn't a bad first offer. Although when talking to the insurance company they did state it was not their highest amount. I guess if their first offer is good, which is what I'm hearing anything over that offer I could consider to be better. Another wierd thing happened while talking to both lawfirms. Neither of them said they would hire a lawyer for my case and offered to review the settlement agreement free of charge. Am I missing something or did I happen to contact lawyers who don't like money?

tjr5150

No you didn't miss anything.. It is a consult with them, they will look over your settlement and tell you if it is good or if they could get more for you.. but remember there are down sides to everything.. If you decide to get an attorney they get in most states %20 of settlement so if you hired one and they only got you 10grand more than what the offer is now.. $100,000-%20=$80,000 less then what your offer is now.. think about it and listen to what the attorney says.. he might get you alittle more but see what his/her fees are then decide..

Lisabyday

In North Carolina there is a statute (as with most states governing the fees on wc cases) as stated below:

Limits on Attorney Fees - Attorney fees for claimants are approved by the agency on a case-by-case basis. In certain cases, the attorney fee may be added to the award.

If you decide to accept the settlement DO NOT CLOSE OUT THE MEDICAL PORTION. Since you state that you will need at least one more surgery and medication(s) regarding this injury - you will be well advised to keep the medical portion open. This will make certain that you are able to recieve medical treatments under work comp on down the line if you continue to have problems as a direct result of the work comp injury.

Hurtworker

Thank you all for the information. I think I will ask for a settlement with a "stip" leaving medical open because I didn't plan on this happening and don't want to risk further expense out of my pocket. I was also wondering, say I signed a settlement today. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">