• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Performance Review

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvette

What is the name of your state? New York

Whatdoes signing or not signing your performance review mean in New York State?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jvette said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Whatdoes signing or not signing your performance review mean in New York State?

My response:

Signing means they care enough to say the very best. Not signing means dire consequences lay ahead. Beware the Ides of March!

IAAL

pattytx

In other words, not much. All it means is that you acknowledge receiving it. But if you don't sign it, you could be thought to be insubordinate. In some states, you are allowed to place a rebuttal in your file if you do not agree, but I'm not sure if NY is one of them. Even if it is not, and you want to write a coherent, calm rebuttal, you can still do that and give it to your manager, then I would make an appointment to discuss.

I actually did this once when I got an appraisal from a new manager who had no idea what I did. When I rebutted several points with examples, he changed the review.

jvette

I thought so.

I did recieve a review where some accusations were not true. Not only that, if there were concerns with my performance, no one presented them to me at all in the twelve months prior to my actual review. After discussing it twice with my manager and once with his boss, I finally signed it 5 days after recieving the review. I am writing a rebutal letter to my manager as we speak and I am going to ask HR to include it in my employee file. Sound about right to you?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can ask, but just as a point of reference, NY is not one of the states where they are required to let you do so. So if they turn you down, there's no recourse you can take to force them.

lucky4822

indiana
So how can they hold anything against you if they never told you what it is you werent doing right? to correct the problem before your raise review came up?
My rasie reviews had to reflect the employees job record that was made out week to week and signed every month so they had a chance to get it together or not. So when the raise came up and it sucked they had only themselves to blame. and that also goes for the good, i couldnt make them higher in a catagory unless it was documented in the records.
humm....
and as for signing it, we are told we will be suspended or even discharged.
i dont know any of the legal stuff, just stating what i was trained when i was a supervisor.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I agree that it doesn't make much sense to blindside an employee and that it's much more reasonable to make them aware of any shortcomings to that they can correct them. But the law does not say an employer has to handle it that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">