• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Repossesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RepoRights

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Florida, About 5 Years ago I purchased a car but had to use my husband as a cosigner. My husband got sick and required much medication so some of the payments were late. The payments were always caught up. In spite of it all they repossesed the car when the payment was less than 90 days late. They offered to give the car back if we payed the loan in full. 40 payments were made prior to the reposession. Since my husband was sick and the car had been taken about 2 hours away from where we live, we didn't have the money to pay off the loan so we opted for them to auction the car. We were then libel for what the difference in value and what they got in auction. My husband was then in the hospital for 8 months prior to his passing away. Since I had lost his income I was only paying the essential bills and not the repo. bill. They then took me to small claims court. I told them I could not pay the bill since I had lost my husbands income and it seemed like the whole thing was dropped. A few months later I got a notice from the court that the case had been dismissed. So I did nothing. 1 year later I was taken to small claims court again. When asked why when the case had been dismissed I was told that my husbands case had been dismissed since he had passed away and not mine. (It was never made clear that I was representing my deceased husband at the first trial.) In going in to court the second time their lawyer admitted that he did not remember the first time and was under the impression that this was a fresh case. Their lawer made false statements as to how many payments were made. He claimed there were only six payments made on the car. When there were 40. I had no documentation at the time to dispute his claim so it was established that I would continue to pay the ramaining bill of over $4,000.00. (This amount is also in dispute since there are many different amounts that have been documented) I have since gathered all my documentation and it differs greatly with what was brought out in court. It is very clear to me that their attorneys did not have there act together and were very confused. I still cannot pay this. How would I dispute this at this point in time. What should I do? PS. The car was towed off of my private property.

Happy Trails

Gather all the information you have and get prepared to figure out how much you are going to owe. Keep in mind collection fees, etc... will be added to it. Then when they win a judgment against you, be prepared that they will do what is necessary to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">