• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully terminated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greenarmy

What is the name of your state? VA

Hello,
Last week I was terminated from pep boys due to being absent two consecutive days, and a hour late on the day I returned to work. My absence was due to me having to relocate on short notice because of an expired lease. Both days I was absent I notified my manager, and she clearly stated that she understood my situation and that I should try to return to work as soon as possible due to the store having alot of employees calling out. So I return to work to find out that the store has hired a new general manager who has authority over every manager in the store. Shortly after introducing herself to me she calls me to her office to state that I was terminated for the above reasons. I honestly thought she was joking because as I said before, the manager who I spoke to said my reason was legit. Now after finding out this was indeed no joke, and seeing that the manager who I spoke with didn't have my back or attempt to explain to the new GM that I had spoken with them, I find myself practically homeless, with no job. I asked for my letter of termination and it stated that I was "excessivly late". Since when was two days exessive? Anyhow, I pulled pep boy's attendance policy off of the employee website and it clearly states employees can be absent 6 times within 12 months, and late 12 times within 12 months with no disciplinary action taken against them. I clearly havent violated the policy given that I have only worked there for a month. My question is, do I have any ground for a lawsuit? Any other advice will also be appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

greenarmy said:
What is the name of your state? VA

Hello,
Last week I was terminated from pep boys due to being absent two consecutive days, and a hour late on the day I returned to work. My absence was due to me having to relocate on short notice because of an expired lease. Both days I was absent I notified my manager, and she clearly stated that she understood my situation and that I should try to return to work as soon as possible due to the store having alot of employees calling out. So I return to work to find out that the store has hired a new general manager who has authority over every manager in the store. Shortly after introducing herself to me she calls me to her office to state that I was terminated for the above reasons. I honestly thought she was joking because as I said before, the manager who I spoke to said my reason was legit. Now after finding out this was indeed no joke, and seeing that the manager who I spoke with didn't have my back or attempt to explain to the new GM that I had spoken with them, I find myself practically homeless, with no job. I asked for my letter of termination and it stated that I was "excessivly late". Since when was two days exessive? Anyhow, I pulled pep boy's attendance policy off of the employee website and it clearly states employees can be absent 6 times within 12 months, and late 12 times within 12 months with no disciplinary action taken against them. I clearly havent violated the policy given that I have only worked there for a month. My question is, do I have any ground for a lawsuit? Any other advice will also be appreciated.
You have no case. Unless you have a written employment contract you don't even have grounds to think about suing.

Look up 'at-will'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">