• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued with no intial written demand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LindaJ

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I am being sued by a hospital for my sons medical bills from 2 1/2 years ago. THe hospital did not send me a demand letter for payment, they did not call me or send a statement to notify me that the bill had not been paid. My ex husband is court ordered to pay the hosptial bill and I did not know it was not paid. The hospital did verify that my ex has been paying on the account but he is not paying enough and they want to hold me liable for the bill. I go to small claims court in a few days and am not sure what to do. Is the hospital responsible by Oklahoma Law to notify me and demand payment prior to taking me to court?

BelizeBreeze

LindaJ said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I am being sued by a hospital for my sons medical bills from 2 1/2 years ago. THe hospital did not send me a demand letter for payment, they did not call me or send a statement to notify me that the bill had not been paid. My ex husband is court ordered to pay the hosptial bill and I did not know it was not paid. The hospital did verify that my ex has been paying on the account but he is not paying enough and they want to hold me liable for the bill. I go to small claims court in a few days and am not sure what to do. Is the hospital responsible by Oklahoma Law to notify me and demand payment prior to taking me to court?
The hospital doesn't care about your divorce decree. They are not a party to your divorce. And since you 'go to court in a few days', just how long ago did you get notified of the court date?

JETX

LindaJ said:
Is the hospital responsible by Oklahoma Law to notify me and demand payment prior to taking me to court?
No. There is not a statutory obligation that they notify you before filing suit, though it is generally done.

As for your court appearance... bring a copy of your divorce decree and present it to the court. Though it is not required, the judge can take the other court order in consideration.
If you do get hit with the judgment, you can then go after your 'ex' for reimbursement due to HIS breach of the family court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">