• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this LEGAL?? I'm outraged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SilverSagess

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband entered into a cell phone contract with ABC Company. It is 1 account, with 2 phones. We have 2 contracts, one for each phone. One expresses a $150 early termination fee. The other expresses NO early termination fee. The one that expresses the Early Termination Fee is NOT signed by my husband. In fact, it is signed by someone who we don't know, possibly the sales person at ABC Company....?

We had to cancel our service because we moved out of Wisconsin, and they don't offer service in our new location. They have charged us $150 PER phone. I faxed them copies of the contracts I have, and they told me that this is not the whole contract. They claim to have the "full" contracts that do in fact state $150 per phone Early Termination Fee. I told him I want to see copies of these contracts. He refused, stating that he did not have to provide them to me unless he was subpoenaed.

So... I'm not sure what to do next. Can they legally withhold these contracts from us, that supposedly have my husband's signature? Can they legally charge us $150 PER phone, based on the contracts they gave us? Have they committed any level of fraud by having their sales person sign our contract in our place?

I don't want to risk damaging our credit over this matter, but I feel they have misrepresented their fees. We believed them to be only $150, not $150 PER PHONE on the account. Also, I don't believe we've ever signed anything agreeing to this. Furthermore, I am outraged that someone else decided they could sign their name to our contract!

Can anyone offer some insight here? I'd appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks :)

Pamela

shortbus

In situations where your credit may be affected, it's usually best to pay first, and then dispute the charges & seek a refund.

Past that, while it sounds like the cell phone company is not exactly playing above board, it also sounds possible that you may have misunderstood the deal. Many things lurk in the 'fine print'. How much time & effort do you want to put into collecting $150 ... that you may not end up being entitled to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">