• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

billing for legal services when not a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fulcrum_Design

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
I am a business consultant and many times I have to research state and federal statues and regulations as part of my service, which I bill for. I am not a lawyer by the way.

My question is a general one, is it illegal for me to bill for "paralegal" or "legal" services even though I am not a lawyer or a paralegal? I am not pretending to be a lawyer but at times I am asked to research and give my opinion on regulatory or legal matters impacting a business operation. Of course I recommend my clients to follow up with thier attorneys but many times it just requires a lot of research and following up with the appropriate authorities, many of whom are attornys.
My invoice stated something like this:
Paralegal services for researching and reviewing Civil Right Act of 1969
Drafting purchase agreement
Representing client at zoning and hearing.

From time to time I am required to investigate state and federal laws and regulations depending on the industry I am representing, does this mean I can't bill for these services or should I be using different language?
Thank you

CO19

Fulcrum_Design said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I am not pretending to be a lawyer but at times I am asked to research and give my opinion ..

>Sounds like you need to first read the CGS, chapter 876, Sec. 51-88. Practice of law by persons not attorneys. If you are still confused and concerned about UPL, the Connecticut Bar Association has a UPL division. I would call them and explain exactly what you do and seek their opinion...

You Are Guilty

For those wondering about the background to all this, see: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=276972

Anyway, CGS are the CT General Statutes and you can find them here.

But to answer your question, it's not how you bill/invoice your services that will land you in trouble, it's your services in the first place. Put simply, "representing" others at any sort of legal/administrative hearings is considered UPL by pretty much every state.

You may as well call the UPL Committee of the CT State Bar, but be advised that they are advisory only, and their opinions carry no legal weight whatsoever. (So if they say you are not doing anything wrong, you can't use that opinion in your defense if you are charged by the DA).

ReiterLaw

"I am not pretending to be a lawyer but at times I am asked to research and give my opinion on regulatory or legal matters impacting a business operation."

Have no idea what the rules are in your state but in Missouri and Kansas this clearly constitutes the unauthorized practice of law. Stick to consulting in areas that you are a trained professional and let the legal professionals do their job. If you want to practice law, goto law school. Your business would grow much faster if you referred this kind of work to an attorney trained to handle such issues as the attorney could then refer his/her clients back to you for other consulting work. Additionally, you are opening yourself and your business to substantial liability by dabbling in legal areas in which, (1) you are not trained, and (2) are not authorized to provide advice regarding. My two cents - take it for what it's worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">