• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receiving collection letters for freight charges that we didn't order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stubie

What is the name of your state?Florida. In September, 2004 we ordered a walk in cooler from a large company in New Jersey. The terms were that the delivery charges were included in the purchase price. We have a signed contract to that effect and a paid bill of sale. They contracted with a firm in South Florida for the actual cooler box. The box was shipped to us and we signed the bill of lading indicating it was received in good condition. One year later, we received the first of two collection letters from a collection agency in Florida for the freight charges in the amount of $144. The bill of lading states that the "bill to" name is the cooler box company, and that we are the "ship to" company. I called the collection agency and inquired about the charges and they said that since we signed the bill of lading that we are just as responisble for the charges as the company that ordered the delivery. I told the collection agency that we have no intention of paying again, since we already paid the company in NJ. I faxed them a copy of the bill of sale and the contract. We recently received a second collection letter. If this were to go any further, do they have a chance of collecting?

racer72

Send them a cease and desist letter. Tell them the debt is not yours and to not contact you about the debt again. It will do one of two things, either make them leave you alone or they will sue you. You have a pretty good chance of winning in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">