• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stop payment on check for services rendered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gettalife222

I own a small business plastering. I entered into a verbal contract with a customer to plaster 2 rooms and a ceiling.I came by to pick up the check and deposited it. She stopped payment without contacting me and for no apparent reason. Is small claims court my only alternative? Sheclaims that she will not pay me until other work in her house is finished. I am finished with the job. Any other work she has donein her house is of no importance to me. Iwas not hired by a contractor. She has no general contractor so whatever work she is talking about really has no relevance to me. I have heard that small claims court can drag on and be costly. She owes me $480.00 which is not tons but I did a lot of extra work for her at no extra charge and feel like I have been taken advantage of. What should I do?

ALawyer

Tell her you will be filing a Mecanhics Lien against the house unless payment is received, and then do it, and then show her the copy and next take her to small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">