• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refrigerator damage caused by spoiled food odor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

epeters

I am from New Orleans, Louisiana and as a result of hurricane I am now in San Antonio, TX. From what I hear, my house didn't get any flood water and faired the storm with only minor damage (blown in upstairs french doors, loss shed and carport roof). I will try to return next week, but because the power was out for over a week, I know the food in the refrigerator and freezer is spoiled and the odor in the box must be horrible. That odor is my main concern because, I fear, I may not be able to remove it from the insulation and lining that a disinfectant can reach. Do I have a legal argument that would force the insurance company, which is USAA here in San Antonio, to replace, not just the contents of the refrigerator, but the entire unit? If so what would I cite? Thank you.

BlondiePB

epeters said:
I am from New Orleans, Louisiana and as a result of hurricane I am now in San Antonio, TX. From what I hear, my house didn't get any flood water and faired the storm with only minor damage (blown in upstairs french doors, loss shed and carport roof). I will try to return next week, but because the power was out for over a week, I know the food in the refrigerator and freezer is spoiled and the odor in the box must be horrible. That odor is my main concern because, I fear, I may not be able to remove it from the insulation and lining that a disinfectant can reach. Do I have a legal argument that would force the insurance company, which is USAA here in San Antonio, to replace, not just the contents of the refrigerator, but the entire unit? If so what would I cite? Thank you.
Never heard of an insurance policy paying for a refridgerator that works and smells, but stranger things have happened. If you did not shut off the electricity prior to evacuating, once electricity is restored, the spoiled food in the freezer will refreeze and that won't be much of a problem with smell. Turn off the refridgerator, throw out the contents, use bleach and water to wipe it out, let it air dry, and repeat if necessary.

When you do return home, bring bleach, lots of water, and rubber gloves. If services such as trash pickup have not been restored, don't put that spoiled food out in the trash. Find out where you can dispose of it where it will be hauled away.

Furthermore, FEMA can be very slow when it comes to removing debris. You and other neighbors that have not suffered a lot of destruction may want to take this upon yourselves too. Be careful and don't injure yourselves.

tammy8

Do you have refriged property coverage on your policy? If so then you might get up to $500 in food spoilage--not smell control but food itself.

My recent experience in dealing with insurance adjusters after Hurricane Dennis was that if I threw something out they paid for it. If I tried to fix or clean it up they did not, or argued about it. If I were doing it over again I'd have thrown a lot more stuff out. Just pile it by the street and take pictures.

One word of warning if your refrigerator and food were all you lost it may not be enough to make a deductible. You might want to check that out before throwing things out.

Good Luck

seniorjudge

Turn off the refridgerator, throw out the contents, use bleach and water to wipe it out, let it air dry, and repeat if necessary.

No. Bad idea.

NOLA is requiring that all fridges be left at the edge of the sidewalk with the door removed. (I don't know how they intend to enforce this, but the National Guard is pretty persuasive and they have guns.)

Your house smells like a human corpse has rotted inside.

There are maggots in your fridge.

A good dousing of your house with the stuff from this place will do wonders:

http://www.zeroodorpet.com/

(I do not own this company or any stock therein.)

File a claim for loss of whatever you lost; if you get something okay. If not, then it is just a fridge.

Be glad you were not in Chamlette.

BlondiePB

seniorjudge said:
Turn off the refridgerator, throw out the contents, use bleach and water to wipe it out, let it air dry, and repeat if necessary.

No. Bad idea.
When a fridge is still in working order and is being kept, why is this a bad idea? :confused:

I agree about fridge disposal (removing the door). Don't know about other places in the U.S., but here companies provide disposal/removal of the old fridge when one buys a new one and has it delivered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">