• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

friend/boyfriend won't pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vanessajeter

What is the name of your state?IN

I rented my friend a car and her boyfriend stole it from her. My friend told me she would get her own personal insurance put on the car. I found out later on down the road the car never had insurance on it. When it was returned back to the rental place it was all wrecked and scratched up. There is two thousand dollars worth of damages done on the car. Now, I am being held responsible for the damages because the car was in my name. I don't know what to do, or how I can get either one of them to pay for the damages. Am I just screwed or is there something I can do about my situation?

Last edited:

screwed by a friend

Sadly, you are not in a good situation. First of all, you cannot "assign" or sublease (rent) a car you rented for your own personal use without the consent of the rental company. The rental agency really couldn't care less (in a sense) what you did with the car after you signed the contract. In other words, after you signed and drove the car off the lot, it became your sole responsibility unless you can prove that the car was stolen by producing a police report. Bear in mind though, that if your girlfriend allowed her boyfriend to drive the car, even for a trip to the store and back, you've already violated significant portions of the rental contract. Your only recourse would be to sue your friend and/or her boyfriend. Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">