• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Valid defense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellatauri

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Sisters are suing for deceased fathers life insurance benefits.

I have a question regarding earlier post, any input is appreciated.

As stated an assignment was taken out in the total amount of 15,750 for arrangements and final expences, and the remainder was split in three equal parts. Only after everything was said and done, the benefits cashed in with no disputes to the insurance company regarding the check amount, in an effort to back my husband into a corner because he wouldnt give them what they wanted are now suing him stating they are entitled to 1/3 of his benefit check plus interest etc because the assignment was signed for by him therefore he was responcible... link to the whole ordeal above...

now for my question, being as that the initial agreement prior to them being petty and trifling was that arrangements and final expenses would come from the policy, otherwise there would have been no assignment claimed, would a promissory estoppel , or laches
n. the legal doctrine that a legal right or claim will not be enforced or allowed if a long delay in asserting the right or claim has prejudiced the adverse party (hurt the opponent) as a sort of "legal ambush." since essentially that is what they are trying to accomplish by attempting to place multiple judgments n him as well as putting him in a financial bind he wouldn't have been in had the original aggreement that was already completed claim wise been honored.
be valid for his defense? also could he claim a lack of "clean hands" based on the "clean hands doctrine" their attempts to file our home as part of dads assets to be sold or signed over and distributed through probate court despite the common knowlege they had of our deed stating joint tenancy with rights of survivorship.
I'm apologising in advance if my post seems jumbled, i've been studying state code, and attempting to absorb so much legal information that my head is starting to spin:) not to mention its going on 3am well past my bedtime. As always any input and advice is much appreciated.
Sincerely, Bella

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">