• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MELISSANALLEY

What is the name of your state?Maine
I am having difficulty w/the father of my child who is now 16 years old. My son lives with his father and he was caught w/pot.
I asked my ex wher our son got the drugs?(having 'heard' from a few people around town that the brother of my ex, (my sons uncle) deals pot)
Of course I got the answer, "From a friend".
I continued to say to him that I heard his brother dealt drugs out of his house, did he sneak it from him?
Again, I got the answer "No."
Two days after this phone conversation with my ex, I got a call from my ex's brother throwing threats of papers being served and sueing for slandering him . "That his lawyer was delighted to hear of the possibilty to move forward w/this suit if I didn't give him an apology."
Mind you, the only person I stated this to, was his brother all in hersay and theory w/ trying to find out where my son got the drugs.
Does my ex's brother have the right and ability to sue me for slander or defamation of character?
Please advise. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">