• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance Fiasco

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnErick

What is the name of your state? California

Hi all. Here I am again, this time with an auto insurance problem. I just bought a used Chevy Blazer and had no insurance as this is the first car I've ever financed myself. In the past I've been under the insurance of others.

I financed the car on August 20, 2005. They issued me a 30 day coverage when driving off the lot for something in the neighborhood of $300. Of course the issuing insurance provider would send me info in case I wanted to enroll with them. Heres where everything starts going strange (I may just be naive..)

About 2 weeks into owning the vehicle, I got a policy in the mail from a place called Arrowhead Insurance Co./QBE Insurance. It stated I had a certain rate and that my coverage was from August 20, 2005 - February 20, 2005. I liked the quote and decided to stick with it. THree days later I received a bill for my next months payment. If I decided to go with this insurance company, should my billing have been on the 20th or around there instead of due by the 8th of September? In any event, I did send in the payment. Three days after mailing this payment they sent me a revised quote because I failed to return waivers for uninsured motorist coverage and some other voluntary waiver. They also sent me 2 letters the same day: One asking for my name and drivers license number and birthdate. The other was a letter asking for a copy of my signed insurance application. They of course stated if they didn't get this by the end of September they would cancel my policy. I was never given any forms at the dealership or by the agent they arranged temporary coverage through. I had nothing to sign or return to them. I wrote letters to the insurance agent, Arrowhead and QBE to get this straightened out. This was about 10 days ago. I have had no response until today.

While I was at work, one of the agents workers called and left a message stating if I didn't send in a copy of my drivers license via fax asap my insurance would be cancelled. (BTW they did cash my payment check last week). When I got home and checked my mail, behold in my mailbox is another bill from them asking for another payment $10 higher that was due by September 30th (The first bill was due Sept. 8th).

At this point I lost it. They have totally disregarded my letters, and instead of checking into this for me, called me today to tell me they would cancel me without this info. Of course I still had to remember I have no signed application to send in anyway, so I would be cancelled by the end of September. This is after spending the $300 for the temp coverage, and $75 for a month I will never even see coverage for. I signed up with a nationally recognized company for less this evening online. What happens to the coverage I was initially supposed to have until Sept. 20th? I realize that was yesterday, but what happened to my $75 payment I gave them on Sept. 8th? Is something going on here or do I simply not understand obtaining insurance? PLEASE someone shed some light on this. Am I due any sort of refund? Should I report this to anyone if it's not on the level?

Thanks for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">