• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

giftturnedloan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpmeplease618

What is the name of your state?Illinois :confused:
an older woman bought me a car as a gift while i was residing with her, i asked her to just co-sign so we wouldn't have any confusion, but she was trying to keep me around so she took the money from her savings and paid for the car, title in my name. Now that we are no longer together she has filed a claim that it was a loan. am i liable to have to repay although there is no contract and it originally was a gift?

JETX

helpmeplease618 said:
am i liable to have to repay although there is no contract and it originally was a gift?
If it was in fact a gift, you don't have to repay it. However, if she takes this to court, it is unlikely that the court will see it as a gift and will likely award her a judgment against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">