• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refuses to repay debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cory3

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I loaned someone from another state some money Feb. 2005 and she had promised to pay it back upon receiving her 2005 tax refund. Now she is refusing to pay back the loan. Is there any way I can collect this debt????

seniorjudge

Q: Is there any way I can collect this debt?

A: Yes, go to the other state and sue this person in that state's small claims court. If she does not have any money or a job, however, I'd say just forget it because you will never get your money.

Does the promissory note you had her sign stipulate the jurisdiction and venue if there is a dispute? If so, you must sue in that place.

Cory3

She did not sign a promissary note... but she has sent emails and messages to say that she owes for the loan. Would I have to go to the state she is in or could I file in my state???? If she does have a job and I sue her, could there be a way for the courts to take it out of her pay?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">