• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical exam appt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Knicole

What is the name of your state?NY
In June 2005 I was injured on the job and was referred to a neurologist by my primary dr. After EMG and MRI test my neurologist diagnosed me with 2 pinched nerves and a bulding disc. Today I recieved a letter from WCB informing me that I am scheduled to see their medical examiner for an orthopedic examination. Should I be concerned that the orthopedic medical examiner will not determine the same results as my neurologist? Should I have gone to see a orthopedic doctor for my injuries? I originally claimed injury to my back, shoulders and neck.

Beth3

Apparently your employer's worker's comp carrier has schedule you for an IME (an independent medical exam.) That is quite routine for many worker's comp claims, especially when back injuries are involved.

Should I be concerned that the orthopedic medical examiner will not determine the same results as my neurologist? Nobody here can guess at what this doctor's medical opinion will be. I've seen IME reports that confirmed the treating doctor's medical findings and IME's that disagreed entirely.

abaga

Knicole said:
What is the name of your state?NY
In June 2005 I was injured on the job and was referred to a neurologist by my primary dr. After EMG and MRI test my neurologist diagnosed me with 2 pinched nerves and a bulding disc. Today I recieved a letter from WCB informing me that I am scheduled to see their medical examiner for an orthopedic examination. Should I be concerned that the orthopedic medical examiner will not determine the same results as my neurologist? Should I have gone to see a orthopedic doctor for my injuries? I originally claimed injury to my back, shoulders and neck.

My attorney called these "Insurance Medical Exams," not Independant Medical Exams. Many times, they will say what the insurance co wants them to say! I had to have two of them...one with a hand surgeon and another with a psychologist. Because both Drs. had information in the reports that were not true and could be proven by other medical records, and one of the Drs (Psychologist) actually put something in his report that not only wasn't true, but a "suggestion" to the Insurance Co. to have MY Drs. (that they sent me to see in the beginning of the injury) to say something just to close the claim, the IME's were pretty much ignored (He told them to say I reached MMI even though I had not, just to close the claim out and send me back to work...those were his words!).

One of the IME's actually was the reason one of my Drs. wouldn't treat me anymore. A couple of years later when I was in the hospital, that particular Dr. came to see me. He apologized to me. He said another one of his patients was sent to this same Psych, and for the exception of the vital information (DOB, SSN, Name, etc.), the report was essentially the same as mine..wording, etc. It's almost like it is a form he fills out, just changes the name, ssn, dob, etc. The Psych. wrote in my report to make it sound as if he had spent 3 hours with me, when all he did was copy some information verbatim from some of my medical records, and make up the rest. He spent literally 15 minutes with me. The rest of the visit, which was about 4 hours was spent with testing..psych tests, IQ tests. He would write something on one page of his report and then contradict it two pages later (for instance...."Patient states she wants to go back to work as soon as possible after surgery." Then, three pages later, he said, "Patient said she has no desire to go back to work after surgery." Okay, so which did I say, Doc?!?!?!? That is just a tiny example of thing things he wrote in the report.

So, having said all of that, If you have good Drs. (and for the exception of the one that dropped me, I had fantastic MD's that all stayed by my side 10000000000%) and a good attorney that will fight for you, things wil probably go well. I also had a really great Insurance Adjuster, who even said she was not going to give much credance to the IME's based on what was said (Heck, I was entitled to a copy of the IME if I went to the Drs. that performed them, and the Psych REFUSED to give me a copy...my attorney had to threaten legal action if one was not released to me. The Psych said the report was none of my business...this all happened in the early 90's, so things may have changed).

Good luck to you!

Report back and let us know how things went.

Last edited:

Knicole

thanks for your insight. i will certainatly keep u posted. :)
can u just tell me what MMI stands for. I am new to this forum, so not fully up on the lingo. thanks

tjr5150

MMI=Maximum Medical Improvement.. It is when the doctor say your as good as your gonna get. Then they give you an impairment rating.. After that you can either go with what the doctor says or you can request a IME..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">