• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st time in small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marie342005

What is the name of your state?oh

I'm being taken to small claims court for over $1300. An ex friend of mine is saying I have various belongings of his (which I don't) that I won't give back.
I don't know if he is taking a lawyer (probably will), but I can't afford one. What is my best defense in this case and how can I defend myself? Can I get a court appointed lawyer for something like this and if so how do I go about that?
He can't possibly have receipts for all of this stuff he's claiming to have brought to my house(a friend said that's what he is going to need in court), but what if he takes friends in with him that will lie to the court about him owning it or bringing it to my house? Does stuff like that hold up in court even if I say they have never been in my house? What does the court accept as proof and what does the court throw out as not enough proof? Is proof receipts or just someone's word? One of the movies he's saying I have I've actually borrowed from the library. Should I take this proof in to show that I can't have his or why would I be getting it from the library if I did? I don't even listen to the same music that he does, but supposedly have his CD's. What can I use to refute that claim? As for the clothing, he didn't live with me (he's married and lives with his wife) how can that be proven or disproven?
I've been told the burden of proof is on him, but he must think he has some if he's willing to take me to court. How can I prove that he is lieing?

seniorjudge

Whoever wins will be the one who can tell the best, most credible story, and (if possible) back it up with documents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">