• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question on payment to plaintiff ( time, results, etc..)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spaceghost

Im in TX, I just lost a case to the plaintiff, ok.. My question is how long do I have to pay the plaintiff, can the courts get a writ of posession to take my personal belongings for the amount owed (if not payed). Can I just pay a small amount once a month or even once a year. will this go on my credit if not payed? CAN ANYONE HELP OUT HERE? THANKS

JETX

spaceghost said:
My question is how long do I have to pay the plaintiff
You have ten years unless renewed. If continually renewed every 10 years, the judgment will last forever... until you die, then be made against your estate.

can the courts get a writ of posession to take my personal belongings for the amount owed (if not payed).
Yes... and no. The judgment creditor can request a 'Writ of Execution' and the sheriff will seize your non-exempt assets and sell them at auction.

Can I just pay a small amount once a month or even once a year.
Of course you can... if you want to pay forever. See, the judgment accrues interest... from the day it was rendered until the day it is paid in full.

will this go on my credit if not payed?
Yes. The judgment can be reported to the CRA (Credit Reporting Agency's). A lien can also be placed against you and any real property you own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">