• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance company has ordered me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhalpert

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My wife and I purchase our first home 6 months ago so we’re ignorant about some things.

We got a letter in the mail from our home owners insurance company stating that they are aware of stairs in our back yard that do not have a hand rail. They are ordering us to hire a licensed contractor to install a handrail for 12 stairs in our back yard and giving us 5 days to do this.

The stairs they are talking about are about 70 feet from the back of our house in what we refer to as our "lower quarter" because we live on a 1/4-acre of land. We have no alley, it’s actually a swamp/wetland that is impassable behind us and we have crummy cyclone fencing on either side of our property that belongs to either neighbor on our sides so one would have to be blatantly trespassing to discover these stairs.

First, can they do that to us? Second, I don’t know how they would have known about the stairs in my back yard since no one told me they’d be on my property. Third, I’m mostly upset that I’m not given a reasonable amount of time to comply, not to mention being ordered to hire someone to install a handrail. That’s like ordering me to hire an electrician to change my light bulbs. I’m also mad that it has taken them 6 months to decide that there is a problem.

Is there anything that would allow me more time than 5 days and or not have to hire a contractor to install the railing?

Thanks,
JH

Last edited:

tammy8

Have you spoken to your agent about getting an extention? Sometimes they will allow you an extra 30 days if you comply.

jhalpert

My agent has been unavailable due to a vacation. At this point I have spoken to my state legislator and gave him a copy of the letter and have called the state commerce department. According to the commerce department there are no regulations on the amount of time insurance companies have to give customers to make ordered improvements. My legislator finds my letter and what the commerce department had to say very interesting. I hope he introduces something next session!!!

I really hate insurance companies because they also send me my bill each quarter for auto as a threat that my policy is going to be cancelled! So basically my bill for auto is always a cancellation letter when it is really a bill. Jerks! The only industry I’m aware of that can treat their customers like garbage and get away with it! Probably because most folks are so apathetic.

I’m really pumped that I was actually able to talk to my state rep so I hope he’s not full of hot air!

JH

About your question about the company or a representative being on your property...read your policy. Most companies have it in there that they can inspect your property at any time with or without notice.

Some Random Guy

Here is a simple solution, take your homeowners and car insurance policies to another insurance provider with a local agent and see how much it would cost to switch.

Most insurers don't treat people like garbage. Show them your displeasure by cancelling your policy and going with soneone else.

tammy8

SMG, he will find the same thing no matter what company he goes with...it is all about the liability.

Some Random Guy

Well he should defiinitely get a handrail. That's not the point. The issue is does the ins. co have to treat him like garbage in the process. Many insurers are quite polite when they demand payment and cover their a**.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">