• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my landlord's attorney wants to move court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ediblered

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

Long story short, my landlord is suing me for $1200. i am counter-suing for $2000. I just recieved a phone message from his attorney asking if we can move the court date. The lawsuit is absurd to begin with and had been a huge inconvenience. I do not wish to reschedule to accomadate him.

Am I under any obligation to return this phone call? Am I entitled to refuse to reschedule? Is it possible that I may show up and they are not there? then what? Winning the countersuit is not important to me, I choose to countersue because the super of the building did damage to my apartment and put my pet in danger in the process) and I am being asked to pay for it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

BL

ediblered said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

Long story short, my landlord is suing me for $1200. i am counter-suing for $2000. I just recieved a phone message from his attorney asking if we can move the court date. The lawsuit is absurd to begin with and had been a huge inconvenience. I do not wish to reschedule to accomadate him.

Am I under any obligation to return this phone call? Am I entitled to refuse to reschedule? Is it possible that I may show up and they are not there? then what? Winning the countersuit is not important to me, I choose to countersue because the super of the building did damage to my apartment and put my pet in danger in the process) and I am being asked to pay for it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
No , you are NOT under any obligation . Although the Attorney might be able to get an Adornment if the Date and Time conflicts with his/her schedule.

In that event you should be notified .

I have been involved in a case the Defendant had an Attorney , but the Attorney did not Show , and The Judge said let's get on with it , I'm not waiting around here for some attorney to show .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">