• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would you do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nolaguy

What is the name of your state?Louisiana

I purchased a large house over a year ago in an area affected by the hurricane. At the time of purchase it was close to impossible to find a company willing to give me homeowners insurance, as the house was built in the 1920's and had knob and tube wiring and an asbestos roof. I finally secured a policy, but it is very expensive and even more expensive for a builder's risk poilcy. I told the insurance company I would be living in the house while under renovation to avoid the excessively high premiums under builder's risk. I found out that I could not live in the house, as there was extensive termite damage. I neglected to inform the insurance company that I would not be living in the house during renovation.

We were half finished with the renovation when the storm hit. We have no sheetrock up yet and the wind blew off some temporary plywood and broke out a couple of windows. I read today about the torrents of rain going through the city. Likely, there will be water damage to the wood flooring and framing from rain entering the gaping holes in the house. There was no flooding, as this home is on a street above sea level.

Up to this point I had not planned on contacting the insurance company for fear that they would cancel my policy after the adjuster finds that I am not living in the house. My question is this: Can they drop me and would you risk contacting the insurance company and submitting a claim, or, would you just eat any water and wind damage?

ALawyer

First, see what has happened and what the cost will be to correct any damage. If you got the coverage thru a personal broker or agent, you might unofficially ask him or her. If the damage is signiificant, I'd buy an hour or two 2 of the time of an insurance lawyer's to get some personal advice based on the facts and circumstances and policy language. Insurance companies are so innundated with storm claims that your circumstances may be taken in stride, and they may try to cancel policies in the state regardless. I am sorry, but this is a real mess and it's probably good to be grateful that the damages are only money, not life or heath.

LOKI15

nolaguy said:
What is the name of your state?Louisiana

I purchased a large house over a year ago in an area affected by the hurricane. At the time of purchase it was close to impossible to find a company willing to give me homeowners insurance, as the house was built in the 1920's and had knob and tube wiring and an asbestos roof. I finally secured a policy, but it is very expensive and even more expensive for a builder's risk poilcy. I told the insurance company I would be living in the house while under renovation to avoid the excessively high premiums under builder's risk. I found out that I could not live in the house, as there was extensive termite damage. I neglected to inform the insurance company that I would not be living in the house during renovation.

We were half finished with the renovation when the storm hit. We have no sheetrock up yet and the wind blew off some temporary plywood and broke out a couple of windows. I read today about the torrents of rain going through the city. Likely, there will be water damage to the wood flooring and framing from rain entering the gaping holes in the house. There was no flooding, as this home is on a street above sea level.

Up to this point I had not planned on contacting the insurance company for fear that they would cancel my policy after the adjuster finds that I am not living in the house. My question is this: Can they drop me and would you risk contacting the insurance company and submitting a claim, or, would you just eat any water and wind damage?

Did you file with FEMA? When you file with FEMA they will also send you a SBA application to fill out. I'm not sure what SBA will be able to help with but they do move pretty quickly (filled mine out last week and they pulled my credit on Friday)

I had my FEMA inspection yesterday and the guy told me I would have been smart to have cancelled my insurance the day before Katrina hit... said FEMA will pay all repairs without insurance. (alas, I have insurance and a collapsed roof until they come to inspect on Oct 4th)

nolaguy

thanks for the responses

State: Louisiana
Thank you for the thoughtful responses. LOK115, please post here after meeting with the FEMA adjuster and let me know the outcome. I filled out my SBA application, but I've only just mailed it out. I'm returning to my home on Thursday.

Meanwhile, my contractor has inspected the property and told me the damage was fairly minimal (probably not enough to meet the deductible on the policy), hence, I probably will not file a claim and risk getting dropped from the policy and possibly a denial of help from FEMA. I am keeping all possibilities open at this point. I might come out better getting help from FEMA...? FEMA does have decent interest rates, but I wonder if I might not come out ahead (considering tax deductions) getting an extension of my home equity loan. Anyone have any knowledge of these issues?

Gidgelette

nolaguy said:
Thank you for the thoughtful responses. LOK115, please post here after meeting with the FEMA adjuster and let me know the outcome. I filled out my SBA application, but I've only just mailed it out. I'm returning to my home on Thursday.

Meanwhile, my contractor has inspected the property and told me the damage was fairly minimal (probably not enough to meet the deductible on the policy), hence, I probably will not file a claim and risk getting dropped from the policy and possibly a denial of help from FEMA. I am keeping all possibilities open at this point. I might come out better getting help from FEMA...? FEMA does have decent interest rates, but I wonder if I might not come out ahead (considering tax deductions) getting an extension of my home equity loan. Anyone have any knowledge of these issues?

Well, I'm here in FL and was hit by 3 hurricanes last year--we just moved from the motel back into our home a couple weeks ago and we still aren't finished repairing damage. Anyway, we filed claims with FEMA 3 times and were denied 3 times because we had an existing insurance policy. But we were offered the SBA loan of $53, 000 and the terms were cheap and easy. The only thing is, the SBA wanted copies of bills and permits before they'd release the money and we couldn't have the contractors start until the SBA gave us the $$$. So we ended up not taking the SBA loan and waited for the insurance to cough up. My husband works in the insurance field but that sure didn't help us except that he understood the terminology. Sigh.

But, if you get an SBA loan for $10,000 or under you don't have to go through all that. :) They have really low interest rates and payments so it might be worth it for you to investigate which will save you the most $$$ in the long run--the SBA loan (under $10,000) or the home equity.

Good luck, I know what you're going through. One year later, I'm still not recovered. Oh, and the SBA people are really, really nice and helpful. It doesn't hurt to have them come out, inspect and offer you the loan 'cause you don't have to take all of it--like we didn't have to take the entire $53,000 they offered.

Gidge

Last edited:

LOKI15

nolaguy said:

I wish I could tell you the answers... unfortuantly I'm in the same boat you are, learning the same things.
I contacted SBA this evening about my app, a real person answered the phone!!! (no auto thing to weed through!). My home app was assigned to a person 10 days ago for inspection (haven't heard anything yet). My business app has not been assigned yet (hubby ownes a small business that is shut down right now).

I'm planning to talk with SBA about re-financing my home loan though. With our company down and a 10.9% intrest rate I'm praying they can help.

Our insurance agent will be here on the 4th however I seriously doubt I will file a claim. I have a 5K deductable and only about 6K worth of damage (we can and have already finished most of the repairs, a crew is coming out tomorrow to cut up and downed trees at $450.00 a pop but I don't think insurance will remburse for that. Can't use the drive still though with the 2 oaks and pine across it)
On the SBA site it says something like 2% intrest if credit is not available elsewhere and 5% if it is (above that it says that 90% are found to not have credit available elsewhere).

I've got my fingers crossed for both us us!

Gidgelette

LOKI15 said:
I wish I could tell you the answers... unfortuantly I'm in the same boat you are, learning the same things.
I contacted SBA this evening about my app, a real person answered the phone!!! (no auto thing to weed through!). My home app was assigned to a person 10 days ago for inspection (haven't heard anything yet). My business app has not been assigned yet (hubby ownes a small business that is shut down right now).

I'm planning to talk with SBA about re-financing my home loan though. With our company down and a 10.9% intrest rate I'm praying they can help.

Our insurance agent will be here on the 4th however I seriously doubt I will file a claim. I have a 5K deductable and only about 6K worth of damage (we can and have already finished most of the repairs, a crew is coming out tomorrow to cut up and downed trees at $450.00 a pop but I don't think insurance will remburse for that. Can't use the drive still though with the 2 oaks and pine across it)
On the SBA site it says something like 2% intrest if credit is not available elsewhere and 5% if it is (above that it says that 90% are found to not have credit available elsewhere).

I've got my fingers crossed for both us us!

Check with your adjuster about the trees---our insurance co paid for our tree removal. Depends on your coverage, I suppose, but my neighbor's company also paid for her downed trees. Good luck!

Gidge

LOKI15

Gidgelette said:
Check with your adjuster about the trees---our insurance co paid for our tree removal. Depends on your coverage, I suppose, but my neighbor's company also paid for her downed trees. Good luck!

Gidge

Its not worth it.

Katrina did the damage, Rita finished the little Katrina left standing. All together I have 12 trees down. 4 are being removed tomorrow at $300.00 per tree (new crew ;). The rest are in the back of the property and will be burned at different times.

The real estate agent comes on Wednesday to take pictures and list the house, with the market boom right now I really don't want to risk a claim being brought up down the road (I also don't want to go on the black ball list again, been there, done that). With a 5K deductable unless the house is a total loss its just not worth it to file a claim.

I am in the process of getting an SBA loan, the rates are good and if you can get their money, I’d get it. I will be paying 2.9% no points or closing costs.

However, to qualify for the SBA loan you are required to first file a claim with your insurance company, then the SBA deducts the amount of your payments from your loan. Don’t wait for the insurance company to make a settlement with you before applying for the SBA loan, but do file the insurance claim first. If your claim is less than the deductible then it will not impact the loan, but you have to file that claim.

You can only borrow from the SBA an amount equal to your damages, and you can only spend that money fixing your damages, you can not use it to pay off an existing loan. The SBA is much more generous in figuring damages than any insurance company will be. The SBA estimated our damages at $185,000 and our insurance paid $60,000. So we qualified to borrow $125,000 but only if we spend the money on rebuilding after we first spend the $60,000 in insurance money. So to get the full amount of the SBA loan we have to spend $185,000 rebuilding.

My home was badly damaged by Hurricane Dennis in early July so I have a 6 week start on you and will pass on some advice based on my experience dealing with insurance companies. I'm not a lawyer, so this is just friendly advice, worth at least what I am charging for it.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">