• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Martz525

Washington State. I found a car I wanted to buy online, at craigslist.org. I talked with the owner via email, met his friend to see the car as he was out of town, went back and forth about the car such as gathering info (miles, repairs, etc), the VIN # for a carfax report, etc. We then dickered over price and settled on a price. His email said, "Alright, let's make a deal. I guess I am too greedy. $2250 it is."

Is this a contract? I feel that it is.

Thanks,

Kellan

JETX

Martz525 said:
Is this a contract? I feel that it is.
At this point it is just an offer. When/if you accept the offer, it becomes a VERBAL contract (very hard to prove). I strongly suggest you get it in writing... and sign your acceptance.

racer72

We then dickered over price and settled on a price. His email said, "Alright, let's make a deal. I guess I am too greedy. $2250 it is."
I am going to guess after reading the OP again, that the price that was dickered and the $2250 are different.

JETX

I agree with Racer.... and that my earlier post was not correct. It APPEARS that the offer was made and ACCEPTED at $2250.
If that is the case (is it OP??), then a verbal contract would exist.
Get it in writing.

Last edited:

Martz525

Well we dickered back and forth via email. We started at 2500 and ended at 2250. We had an agreement, that is why he said let's make a deal. We then agreed on a time and place to meet to sell the car (his office at 4pm on a wednesday) and the terms such as a full tank of gas etc.

Then he canceled on me that same morning of the day of pickup. I found out he sold it to someone else.

I feel I had a contract and can get damages. It will be work to prove, but I have numberous emails.

Kellan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">