• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Refundable Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

govtgirl1988

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I entered a contest for laser hair removal with American Laser Centers back in May of this year. In the middle of May, I was contacted that I had won 3rd prize. I scheduled a no-cost obligatory appointment with ALC on June 25, 2005. When I entered the office, I was told in order to claim my prize, I would have to purchase five additional laser treatments at a cost of $325.00 each - making the total purchase price $1,512.15. I did sign the paperwork. After about two weeks had gone by, I decided not to do this. I contacted the company and they told me that I signed a non-refundable contract. I looked over my paperwork and found the contract. The statement at the bottom of the Treatment and Financial Agreement that I signed states (in full): "I fully understand and agree to the treatment area(s) that will be treated and the nonrefundable fee I will pay for my treatments. Guarantee for hair removal starts on the day the sixth treatment is completed." To me, this states that I cannot cancel the contract once I start the treatment process. However, I did not start any treatments with ALC and do not plan to because of this situation. I would like to get out of this contract as I feel that I was dupped. First of all, I entered a contest and won 3rd prize. In order to claim the prize, I had to purchase products/services. I don't feel this is very good business practice. Second, the fact that I signed a non-refundable contract was not explained to me fully by the saleswoman. Third, I feel the company needs to revise their contract to show that once you sign, that is it, you cannot cancel for any reason. Since I haven't started the treatment process, I don't feel I should be obligated to pay for services not received.

Last edited:

govtgirl1988

No, I didn't pay them anything yet. I applied for credit when I was at the initial consultation. The credit company is Care Credit and it is a GE company. I disputed the charges with GE Money Bank and they said I have to pay the charges. I also filed a claim through the PA Attorney General - Bureau of Consumer Protection. This did not work either. What are my options now?

similar

similar

My permanent residence is Georgia, but New York state law applies in my case.

I have a similar situation. I did not win a contest, but I am disputing charges on a GE account from a laser hair removal company in New York. I also signed an agreement and showed up for my first appointment. They did not know why I was there. They thought that I came for a consultation and did not have time to treat me. The situation was unprofessional to me. I wished to get out of my contract (pretty much same wording as yours) and receive a credit. I too did not have any services or treatments.

I was given the run around many times. They have finally, after @ 6 months, offered to settle with me paying them @ 15%. I declined that offer. I want a full refund to the GE account. I am currently gathering information for a small claims court case.

I'm interested in your case because I am in a similar situation, Have you found out any more information? Did you settle? Would you settle? Do you know any consumer laws that would help these cases? Have you contacted another lawyer? etc?

seniorjudge

govtgirl1988 said:
No, I didn't pay them anything yet. I applied for credit when I was at the initial consultation. The credit company is Care Credit and it is a GE company. I disputed the charges with GE Money Bank and they said I have to pay the charges. I also filed a claim through the PA Attorney General - Bureau of Consumer Protection. This did not work either. What are my options now?
I would pay no money because you did not use their services.

Expect to get sued and/or a a bad credit report.

You can put an explanation on your credit report.

Anyway, this is a scam and I would not rest till I made the proper authorities aware of it.

govtgirl1988

To Similar: I have not found any more information as I am in the very early stages of this problem. I just want this debt removed from this care credit account. I do not know of any consumer laws pertaining to this case. I have sent a request in to a website that I found. It said that it would take about 2-3 days for a lawyer to look at my case and review it for free. I just did that on Sunday, so I will have to get back to you when I do hear something. I don't remember the website name, but when they email me something, I will be sure to post it here.

To Seniorjudge: Who are the proper authorities that should be made aware of this? I just filed a claim with the FTC. They, of course, do not help individual claims, but they will look into this company's practices.

govtgirl1988

Allready filed with the Bureau of Consumer Protection, Office of Atty General here in PA. ALC's attorney issued a statement and they want me to send additional information pertaining to this complaint so they can evaluate further.

similar

similar

New York law

I think that I will also file a report with the Bureau of Consumer Protection in New York, Office of Attorney General and see what they say.

I do not want this on my credit report. I have good credit and do not want it ruined by this.

I'm seriously considering filing a lawsuit through the small claims court in New York. I'm gathering my paperwork together now.

I believe that we are right, but the question is how do we prove it and what law do we have to stand on?

You Are Guilty

similar said:
New York law

I think that I will also file a report with the Bureau of Consumer Protection in New York, Office of Attorney General and see what they say.

I do not want this on my credit report. I have good credit and do not want it ruined by this.

I'm seriously considering filing a lawsuit through the small claims court in New York. I'm gathering my paperwork together now.

I believe that we are right, but the question is how do we prove it and what law do we have to stand on?
Although you are hijacking this thread, in an effort to save time, the law you're looking for is General Business Law §369-ee. Whether it will actually help you is a discussion left for another thread as this is a PA law question.

For the PA poster, you're interested in PCS § 4107(a)(9).

govtgirl1988

I really have good credit too and it would be a shame if a shoddy company like this would ruin it for me.

I don't know of any consumer laws that we could refer to. If anyone knows of any pertaining to non-refundable contracts, please advise both of us ASAP!! Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">