• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fostering Dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crf848

I fostered a dog from a Shar Pei Rescue Group and I was giving first rights to adopt. I wasn't sure if I wanted to adopt until the dog was in transport to the new foster/adoption people. I contacted the new family with three hours of having the dog letting them know I wanted to adopt her, that I made a mistake letting her go. The new mother didn't want me to be upset and said she would return the dog. I contacted the rescue group and they were fine wtih me adopting and told me I had first rights.

The next day I contacted the new mother for her address so I could rent a car and go down to Columbus, Ohio to pick up the dog. She wouldn't answer. I was called by the foster group telling me I can no longer have the dog unless the new foster person was willing to give her up. I asked if they had an adoption contract and no one knew for sure. Even if there was a contract and I notified them within a few hours of it being signed or not signed do I have rights to the dog if I have an email stating I have first rights?

I was up front and honest with everyone that I wasn't sure if this is what I wanted to do and it wasn't a surprise I wanted the dog back. I'm shock and upset the people would keep a dog that someone else loves and I feel I have no rights. I've foster dogs before and this is the first time I gave one up and decided I made a mistake a few hours later and tried to correct things. Isn't there a 24 hour period you can change your mind? I live in Michigan. I only have emails asking me to foster and a week later there is someone that's interested in the dog but I had first rights to adopt.

Last edited:

JETX

crf848 said:
Even if there was a contract and I notified them within a few hours of it being signed or not signed do I have rights to the dog if I have an email stating I have first rights?
Nope. You should have exercised your 'first right' BEFORE the other family 'adopted' the animal. Your 'first right' expired when the other family adopted.

Isn't there a 24 hour period you can change your mind?
No.

JETX

crf848 said:
They are in a two week trail period.
Then you might have another opportunity to foster this animal after their "trail" period.

From your initial post: "I contacted the new family with three hours of having the dog letting them know I wanted to adopt her, that I made a mistake letting her go"

Simply, and again, you had 'first right'. You didn't excercise it. They did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">