• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I begin my Case, landlord suing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Conn

What is the name of your state? WA

This morning I was served with papers, I am being sued by a debt collection company which bought the debt from my former Apartment complex.

The case is for $288 that the apartment company claims I owe them for lack of tidiness in my apartment (I know it's a paltry amount but I feel like it's the principal of the matter). A few questions:

Will a witness (friend and co-worker of mine) saying that he saw the place very clean a few days before moving out make a difference in court?

A large part of the money claimed is due to damage to the carpet. Most of the stains were existing before I moved in and should be noted on the exit report of the previous tenants. Is there any way I can force them to release that report to me? What about the cleaning bill for the carpet before I moved in (I don't think they cleaned the carpet at all before me)?

Which would be better, judge or jury trial?

Also, on my exit report they note a specific stain, but when I pointed out that it was pre-existing (in writing) they claimed (in writing) that the stain was not a factor in their tallying. Will this help me?

I appreciate the time and effort all of you make in keeping this site running, I hope my thanks can be enough for your services.

pojo2

Got any pictures of when you moved in and when you moved out?

Anything else is heresay and the Judge will have to decide who is believable.

Judge or jury, you are probably going to small claims so let the Judge decide and get it over with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">