• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s0479

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

My ex and I separated in 2002, divorce final in 2003. At the time we separated he agreed to pay 1/2 of extra curricular activities for our daughter and for the expenses for his dog (which I agreed to keep at my home). He stopped paying for 1/2 of the activities in 6/2005 and the dog in 8/2005.

He also omitted his OT income on his original income/expense report and was not paying what he would have had to had I taken him back to family court. He also bought a house which also changes the situation....in 11/2003 we agreed on an amount which was higher than the original court agreement, but less than I would have gotten had I gone back to family court for more child support. He paid this amount until 8/2005.

I'm considering going to small claims court.....I have records and emails showing he has paid the expenses for the prior 2 or 3 years, is that a strong enough case? From reading some of the other posts I think so...but every situation is so different.

Thanks for the info......

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

s0479 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

My ex and I separated in 2002, divorce final in 2003. At the time we separated he agreed to pay 1/2 of extra curricular activities and for the expenses for his dog (which I agreed to keep at my home). He stopped paying for 1/2 of the activities in 6/2005 and the dog in 8/2005.

He also omitted his OT income on his original income/expense report and was not paying what he would have had to had I taken him back to family court. He also bought a house which also changes the situation....in 11/2003 we agreed on an amount which was higher than the original court agreement, but less than I would have gotten had I gone back to family court for more child support. He paid this amount until 8/2005.

I'm considering going to small claims court.....I have records and emails showing he has paid the expenses for the prior 2 or 3 years, is that a strong enough case? From reading some of the other posts I think so...but every situation is so different.

Thanks for the info......

My response:

You want to file in Small Claims court? Sorry, but you'll get tossed out on your ear with this issue. Small Claims court has no jurisdiction to hear Family law issues.

Oh, and unless his "promises" are in writing, and "blessed" by a Family law judge with a signature, they're as worthless as the paper they weren't written on.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">