• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal agreement Nothing in writing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueeyes08

What is the name of your state? I am in Virginia. I dated a man for 2 years and he didn't work for 1 1/2 years. He lived and continues to live with his mother and never with me. I loaned him almost $2,000 and nothing was put in writing. I paid several cell phone bills for him which is in his mother's name and it went through my checking debit card and I have a copy of one actual check I wrote at the end. For all the others, my checking statement shows the name of the company and all other bills paid to them through my debit card. I do not have an account with this cell phone company. I am planning to get a letter from them stating that, plus the fact that my debit card is linked to payments to this cell phone company.In addition, he got my debit card number and paid one without my consent (no I didn't file charges and now it is too late). I had my card reissued. But by using my card without permission, it cost me another $200.00 in insuffcient funds which shows on my checking statement after the cell phone bill was cleared. I did break off the relationship, but since March 05 when he found a job, I have tried to get him to pay and he laughs and says "take me to court". I have several questions, do I even stand a chance of winning? Do I have to summons his mother since the cell phone bill is in her name and she is elderly. The cell phone bill has two numbers attached, one for him and one for her and he has been responsible for paying the bill. Can I bring up previous convictions of this man since I recently found out that he has been to prison twice for forgery and his mother is the one who filed the charges as he forged her checks? I really need advice as I cannot afford an attorney.

seniorjudge

This kind of case is exceptionally common in small claims courts.

Judges who handle small claims refer to them as "common law divorces."

All this stuff will probably be viewed by the judge as gifts you gave him, unless there is something in writing to the contrary (which you say there is not).

So, my opinion is, don't waste any further time and money on this jerk.

BL

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift, Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting
When the grim reaper shows at your door , it's not personal .... :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">