• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Okay, So I'm an Idiot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanapull

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?—Nebraska

I purchased a sofa and loveseat from a nice young woman on Craigslist. Upon reaching my home, I found that the sofa had a cat urine stain on the back of it. I immediately called the seller and told them the problem. The seller agreed (after denying that she even has a cat) that a.) she would pay for the cleaning, or b.) she would return my money if I was unable to get it cleaned satisfactorily.

I had an upholstery cleaning expert look at the furniture, and he confirmed after examining everything under black light that there was indeed cat urine on the furniture, as well as—to my additional chagrin-- booger and (I’m not making this up) semen residue, the latter of which appeared only on the sofa, ironically. He said that he could try to clean it (at a price that was nearly as much as I paid for the furniture itself) but that he could not guarantee the results.

Well, I called the seller and—Surprise!—she’s not returning my phone calls. Being the trusting half-wit that I am, I paid cash for this mess and did not get a receipt. I did have a witness to the transaction; however, he saw only the cash exchange, not the actual amount.

Do I have any legal recourse here, or would they laugh me right out of the small claims courtroom? If I have no legal recourse, would you be interested in a “slightly” used sofa?

BL

You're so , I don't what to say stupid ) , but , how on earth are you going to Sue them .

Another thing I get is you paid CASH , that means you were in contact .

Please explain . Did not you Sniff the Sofa .

I see like the commercials , the dudes pick up a Chair on the curb , Sniff , Sniff , EWWWWW. Drop it off at another curb ..

Get on with your life .

JETX

nanapull said:
Do I have any legal recourse here, or would they laugh me right out of the small claims courtroom?
LOL!!
No case. Google 'caveat emptor'

If I have no legal recourse, would you be interested in a “slightly” used sofa?
Check on craigs list for New Orleans. :D

nanapull

Blonde Lebinese said:
You're so , I don't what to say stupid ) , but , how on earth are you going to Sue them .

Another thing I get is you paid CASH , that means you were in contact .

Please explain . Did not you Sniff the Sofa .

I see like the commercials , the dudes pick up a Chair on the curb , Sniff , Sniff , EWWWWW. Drop it off at another curb ..

That commercial went through my mind about a hundred times after the fact; it's hilarious that you mention it. A specific Seinfeld episode ran through my head as well. I did not sniff the sofa, unfortunately--or perhaps fortunately-- because it looked okay and the woman's apartment was clean, with no signs of any cats, etc.

nanapull

A Dish Best Served Cold

Since I have no "legal" recourse, am I within my rights--or perhaps even OBLIGATED in some way-- to urinate and/or defecate on the sofa myself and padlock it to the seller's front bumper? I think I'm okay with being out the cash as long as I can spin it into something positive like that.

BL

nanapull said:
Since I have no "legal" recourse, am I within my rights--or perhaps even OBLIGATED in some way-- to urinate and/or defecate on the sofa myself and padlock it to the seller's front bumper? I think I'm okay with being out the cash as long as I can spin it into something positive like that.
Sure , as a Local Cop told me once , Just don't let me see it , in response to the Cop picking up a Tree branch , that hit me in the head .

Oh Yeah . I trapezed back n FORTH with the " Stick " hoping I'd encounter the ones that used it on me >><>

Too bad LOL ..

zippysgoddess

Advice from someone, who in her younger years had cats she couldn't afford to fix: USE WHITE VINEGAR! It neutralizes the enzymes that cause the nasty ammonia odor, then the use of Febreeze Pet Odor, or April Fresh Downy Liquid will work wonders!

I once had to get spray odor out of the carpet of a trailer that some friends of ours were buying, they couldn't believe I did it, when the cat sprayed in the corner, it was awful, the floor in the old trailer was soft, and when the wind blew, the odor would go through the whole place. (Thank goodness I didn't have to live with it! LOL!) But I did get rid of the odor for them. There are things that do work, and since the semen, and boogers, while gross, are dried, they are basically no longer biohazards, and if you are worried about germs, a good dousing with Lysol will take care of that.

Needless to say my friends and I all get our pets fixed ASAP now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">