• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee laws on used cars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candib64

We have just bought a 2001 toyota 4 runner, it was sold as is and ran fine for a week then engine light came on and it started smoking out of the tail pipe! please someone help me! is there anything that is on my side of getting a bad car! we put 3,500.00 down and have a balance of 7,800.00 so you can see my delima! is there anything I can do? we live in Tennessee near Chattanooga. Any help would be appreciated!
thank you
candi

Happy Trails

candib64 said:
We have just bought a 2001 toyota 4 runner, it was sold as is and ran fine for a week then engine light came on and it started smoking out of the tail pipe! please someone help me! is there anything that is on my side of getting a bad car! we put 3,500.00 down and have a balance of 7,800.00 so you can see my delima! is there anything I can do? we live in Tennessee near Chattanooga. Any help would be appreciated!
thank you
candi
Sorry, you aren't going to like the answer. When you agreed to purchase the car "as is", you accepted it as is.

Google "Caveat emptor".

Learn a lesson from this mistake and in the future have a vehicle that you are planning on purchasing, checked out by a mechanic prior to closing the deal.

DRTDEVL

Relax, take a deep breath, and listen...

You need to find out what codes the computer is storing. Go to autozone, and they will pull the codes for free, and tell you what they are (as well as what they mean). If it is for the MAF sensor, there are ways to clean it for longer life, but most other sensors will require replacement.

Take the codes, and go to the Toyota forums on http://www.4x4wire.com/ The members over there are quite helpful, and will walk you through the repair process at the least cost needed. I brought up the MAF because it is the most common code... Usually because it is dirty due to an aftermarket performace air filter (very sensitive part). They have a write-up on how to clean it yourself (with a lot of detailed pictures), so you don't end up paying $300 for the repair.

Good luck, and enjoy your 4Runner!

4 RNR problems

Good advice from previous poster, thought I 'd add that you might check for any "TSB's" (technical service bulletins), which are basically alerts issued by manufacturers that are a step shy of a recall. For instance, the V6 motors on older 4 RNR's (the 3 liter, from roughly 1988 to 1995) were found to be susceptible to head gasket problems that often fried the engine. Though not widely publicized, Toyota issued extended warranties (with certain exceptions, of course) of 6 years/100,000 miles even if you weren't the original owner. They'd get you a free loaner and rebuild your engine. Now THAT'S consumer friendly. Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">