• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnishment info.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vpaige

What is the name of your state? VA
My ex-boyfriend and I are both on the title for a motorcycle, but I own the loan. He has signed a written contract with me to pay the bike payment, but the bike has now been stolen and he only had liability insurance on it. Therefore, he still owes the money, but just recently lost his job and is now late on the first payment since the vehicle has been stolen. If I take him to court, will I even get any money back since he has no job to garnish wages from? Will I simply be waiting for him to get another job in order to get any money back and then, does the garnishment only account for a small percentage of his paycheck? Thanks for any info. you can give me.

JETX

vpaige said:
If I take him to court, will I even get any money back since he has no job to garnish wages from?
Nope. The court doesn't pay you.... you have to enforce the judgment against him.

Will I simply be waiting for him to get another job in order to get any money back
Yes.... or if he has any other non-exempt property you can seize and sell at auction.

and then, does the garnishment only account for a small percentage of his paycheck?
Yep.
Your state follows federal garnishment exemptions:
Exempts from garnishment 75% of disposable earnings per week,
or an amount = to 30 x federal minimum hourly wage, whichever is greater.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">