• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should private seller disclose prior accident damage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeremai

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Bought a used car as-is from a private party for $4000. They told us it passed an inspection in May so should pass again. Our mechanic found prior accident damage and we have been quoted $3000 to get it fixed. Was the seller obliged to disclose this? Is there anything we can do?

Thanks

lemon?

$3,000 to fix a $4,000 car? What exactly did the mechanic want to fix? In other words, were there safety issues? Need more info...(detailed, if possible) By the way, lemons GENERALLY refer to repeated problems with new vehicles where the manufacturer can be held responsible. In many states (I'm checking on Maryland), a used vehicle like this would probably be called a "salvaged" vehicle and would sport a "branded" title.Also: try to see if you can get repair bill. I'll point out, though, that cars sold as is should bring to mind "caveat emptor", or "buyer beware"

Last edited:

jeremai

Thanks for that. The engine and everything inside has been pushed back out of place, seemingly from a front collision. It all needs to be remounted. It would not pass an inspection as it currently is. The $3000 quote as to fix that and the air conditioning (it is the stuff pushed up against the a/c that is preventing it from working).

I know we wouldn't have a case if things went wrong after buying the car because it was bought as-is, but are there any laws requiring her to have disclosed the accident damage beforehand? She told us that the car passed inspection just fine back in May and should pass again. A distant relative lawyer says that is fraud. Any thoughts?

used car problem

This doesn't look real good. I would EMPHASIZE, however that you strongly consider taking the $3,000 your mechanic wants, along with your new-found knowledge, and either buy another better used vehicle or use it as a down payment. Putting $3,000 into a wrecked "$4,000" car does NOT mean that you have a $7,000 car. It would still be worth about $500, bringing your net loss to $6,500.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">