• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord suing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

obie

What is the name of your state?NY

I am being sued for $1650 from my previous landlord, he is filing a judgement for 1. breaking lease 2. bounced check 3. loss of use of property . I stopped payment on Mays rent check on May 9, I then , after telling landlord 4-5 times I am leaving if he dosen't do something about the other tenents teenage boys (We were in a duplex), I would be leaving, I broke the lease and moved most of my things June 3, next day he calls to tell me the locks are changed, I can have my stuff back if I pay Junes rent, he'll use the security for May, I said I'll pay for 5 days in june, he then said I owe May-NOv for 5200, I then got a cop to go with me to retrieve my belongings, haven't heard a thing until 4 months later when I am summoned to court for May and JUnes rent. He never returned my security, I assumed it was used for Mays rent, and the new tenent moved in 14 days after I moved out, but he wants June from me also, How do you think this will go? He never even let me know , after 4 months, how my deposit was used.

obie

I would think I would only pay for the days the place was vacant, and that my security would be kept for May. I'm hoping it turns out that way.

BelizeBreeze

obie said:
What is the name of your state?NY

I am being sued for $1650 from my previous landlord, he is filing a judgement for 1. breaking lease 2. bounced check 3. loss of use of property . I stopped payment on Mays rent check on May 9, I then , after telling landlord 4-5 times I am leaving if he dosen't do something about the other tenents teenage boys (We were in a duplex), I would be leaving, I broke the lease and moved most of my things June 3, next day he calls to tell me the locks are changed, I can have my stuff back if I pay Junes rent, he'll use the security for May, I said I'll pay for 5 days in june, he then said I owe May-NOv for 5200, I then got a cop to go with me to retrieve my belongings, haven't heard a thing until 4 months later when I am summoned to court for May and JUnes rent. He never returned my security, I assumed it was used for Mays rent, and the new tenent moved in 14 days after I moved out, but he wants June from me also, How do you think this will go? He never even let me know , after 4 months, how my deposit was used.
You broke the lease. He has the right to recover and not only the amount of lost rent, but damages.

If you get out of this for less than two month's rent you're going to be lucky. Next time honor your contracts.

obie

So sorry that I dont want my children living with in 20 feet of unsupervised pot smoking teenagers who also steal anything not nailed down in the yard, get the facts before you open your trap!

seniorjudge

obie said:
So sorry that I dont want my children living with in 20 feet of unsupervised pot smoking teenagers who also steal anything not nailed down in the yard, get the facts before you open your trap!
But it's okay for them to live with someone who writes bad checks?! :confused:

JETX

obie said:
How do you think this will go?
I think you are going to lose and get a judgment against you. How much?? That depends on the terms of the lease and how much damages the landlord can prove to the court.

He never even let me know , after 4 months, how my deposit was used.
Most states have laws requiring a landlord to provide an account of the deposit within a specific time. Surprisingly, NY is different. They only require that a deposit be returned in a REASONABLE time.

For more: http://www.oag.state.ny.us/realestate/guide_intro.html#6

Also, the statute itself can be found at: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=49&a=24

Last edited:

mknapp

I am not sure how it works in new york, but you should look up ny state law for renters rights online. i live in california, and i was able to find out that my landlord was violating several laws that the state had set. i am in a similar situation and it helped me out a lot!

good luck and don't worry, you did the right thing by protecting your family.

oh, another thing check on this but in ca if you complain to the landlord that something is unsatisfactory about your living environment and they do nothing, then you can break the lease with no fault or monetary compensation.

JETX

mknapp said:
I am not sure how it works in new york
Then why the hell did you post???

[qutoe]i live in california, and i was able to find out that my landlord was violating several laws that the state had set.[/quote]
Get a map. California is NOT New York. And even if it was, your post makes NO mention of any laws that were broken by the NY landlord. Making your post 'double' stupid.

good luck and don't worry, you did the right thing by protecting your family.
Awwww, there is that 'warm fuzzy' feeling again... :D

oh, another thing check on this but in ca if you complain to the landlord that something is unsatisfactory about your living environment and they do nothing, then you can break the lease with no fault or monetary compensation.
Just more crap. And not true in California either. It takes far more than just a complaint.

Maybe this sounds too simple, no pun. But why didn't you call the police if you KNEW they were doing drugs, etc. and causing you grief?

HomeGuru

simpleguy05 said:
Maybe this sounds too simple, no pun. But why didn't you call the police if you KNEW they were doing drugs, etc. and causing you grief?

**A: maybe he was high at the time.

mknapp

since we are now calling people stupid, if you read the post, Stupid, you would have seen that i was just suggesting that he look up the renter's rights online for the state of ny. but gee, i really appreciate your kind words.

HomeGuru

mknapp said:
since we are now calling people stupid, if you read the post, Stupid, you would have seen that i was just suggesting that he look up the renter's rights online for the state of ny. but gee, i really appreciate your kind words.

**A: awe, go take a knapp.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">