• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wedding photographer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

will b

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

My wife and me got married this past May. We hired a photographer to photograph the moment. We paid the guy upfront and expected the photos to be delivered in a month or two. It has been 5 months now and still no photos of the event. My wife signed a contract with an arbitration clause. We have tried to handle the matter with out litigtion but, it seems hopeless. My perception would be to contact the authorities and use a long arm warrent since the guy lives in Texas. He does business in New Mexico. He has sent e-mails to indicate that he has sent the photos but, we haven't seen or signed any registration forms from letter carriers.
-Would this be considered theft?
-My question would be could I have an arrest warrent sworn out for him?
-How would this affect if the contract indicated that all matters are to be held in arbitration when he refuses to deliver the finished product?
-Should I get an attorney involved?
-Could I sue for punative damages when aribitration is complete?

shortbus

+ it is not theft. It is breach of contract.

+ You cannot get an arrest warrant. It is a civil dispute. Not criminal.

+ if you agreed to arbitration in the contract, you can't file suit against him in a state court -- in doing so YOU would breach the contract. You can initiate an arbitration proceeding according to the terms of the contract.

+ Depends how much the case is worth to you. I imagine if the photographer got one call from a lawyer he'd get those photos out pretty quickly. He wants to avoid legal costs as much as you do.

+ Punitive damages are very, very rare in contract cases. In short, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">