• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

salvage vehicle title issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickjames

What is the name of your state? Texas

Here is the situation I am confronted with:

I have a car with a salvage vehicle title. I sold it to someone but held on to the title until he finished paying off the car. Well, the guy took the car and never made any payments on it. He subsequently sold the car to a used car lot. I eventually tracked down my car at this used car lot and told them that the car is mine and I have the salvage title to prove it. However, this car lot is saying that they will release the car to me only if they are paid back the amount that they spent in buying it. My question is this, is there any justification for this car lot to buy a car from someone who can't furnish the title? After all, I held the title the whole time. I can't see any way that this car lot can be treated as a bona fide purchaser if it was never presented with a title. Who do I go after now?? Any help would be appreciated.

shortbus

If you hold the title, the car is yours. The car lot has to return it to you or it's theft. If they want their money back, they need to file a claim against your buddy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">