• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worst roomate ever

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awarsh

What is the name of your state? IL

I am entered into a lease with two other roomates. So there are 3 of us in a house. We are required to pay rent each month (obviously) and our landlords told us that we have to pay utilities. We pay utilities every month (gas and electric). The utilities are in my name. I have one roomate who goes around shutting lights off and says that if we keep leaving lights on that he will not pay utilities. I told him if he doesn't pay we're gonna get rid of him. He further on contiunes to say that there is no place in the lease that says, he needs to pay utilities. Any suggestions?

thanks

JETX

awarsh said:
Any suggestions?
Yep. Sit him down and explain life to him. If he uses utility's someone has to pay for them. If he refuses to share the bill, then don't allow him to use it. No water to shower/wash. No gas to cook with. No electricity. If he comes into a common room where others are, you will have to shut it off and leave (inconvenience).
Hopefully, he will learn from it. And if he still doesn't?? You will have to pay his share. Make sure you give him a MONTHLY accounting of the utility bills and payments IN WRITING. Show his monthly amount owed and amount paid. Then, after he leaves, you wil have to sue him for the amount he has not paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">