• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelling a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CSRMary78

A day ago I signed up for a dating service and decided it was too expensive and came home and cancelled a day later. Am I obligated to it or is there something called a buyer's remorse that gives me a certain amount of time to cancel a contract? I live in New Jersey. If there is a certain amount of time what is it? I think it's 72 hours but Im not sure. I cancelled within 24. I put a hold on my credit card. It hadn't even been posted to my account. Am I okay? Thanks

Last edited:

racer72

Who initiated the contact? If you did by visiting a business, called on the phone, or through the internet, you are liable for the contractual obligations. The 72 cancellation period only applies when the seller iniates the sales call, usually at your home.

CSRMary78

cancelling a contract

They intiated the contact over the phone and set up a meeting. I went in and they gave me a sales pitch and after I signed up and went home the next day I decided to cancel as it was too expensive. I called up my credit card and put a hold on it. Am I still liable for it?

HomeGuru

CSRMary78 said:
They intiated the contact over the phone and set up a meeting. I went in and they gave me a sales pitch and after I signed up and went home the next day I decided to cancel as it was too expensive. I called up my credit card and put a hold on it. Am I still liable for it?

**A: what does your contract state with respect to cancellation?

CSRMary78

cancellation contract

It doesn't say anything. I looked for that and it has nothing. I quess I should have looked at that before signing. I feel like a dope. But I always thought you had at least 48 hours to cancel a contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">