• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sued, and sued again...!??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcomm001

What is the name of your state? California
I was sued in small claims court and he actually won. Claimed the amount was for over $11,000.00 but was awarded the max $5,000.00
Now he is telling me I have to pay the remainder of the $11,000.00.
By law, am I liable for the remaining $6,000.00

JETX

jcomm001 said:
What is the name of your state? California
I was sued in small claims court and he actually won. Claimed the amount was for over $11,000.00 but was awarded the max $5,000.00
Now he is telling me I have to pay the remainder of the $11,000.00.
By law, am I liable for the remaining $6,000.00
Nope. He 'forgave' the difference when he made the decision to go to small claims (for the lesser amount) than the more expensive higher court (no amount limit).
Pay him the $5k.... and tell him thank you.

If he tries to file another suit, simply bring the first one into court and claim 'Res Judicata'.

res judicata
n. Latin for "the thing has been judged," meaning the issue before the court has already been decided by another court, between the same parties. Therefore, the court will dismiss the case before it as being useless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">