• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am Plaintiff in undisputed debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Karenr7877

What is the name of your state?Washington
I owe 1/2 value of dog to ex-associate and do not dispute debt. It has been about 6 months since I terminated association and I outlined options for resolving debt. 10 weeks later I received letter requesting the debt. I am extremely broke and didn't want to send this person tiny checks..I was waiting to sell a puppy to pay debt in lump sum. I received small claims summons without any other attempt or notice from plaintiff that this was going to happen. I thought small claims was for disputed debts. The day I received notice I sent letter and my intention to pay debt as soon as possible along with 8 checks of 25.00 each to Plaintiff. Am I still going to have a judgement found against me when I go to the court date of Oct. 2nd? I was just wondering how having a judgment against me will affect me in the longterm.

JETX

Karenr7877 said:
I received small claims summons without any other attempt or notice from plaintiff that this was going to happen.
There is no requirement for 'pre-notice' of a lawsuit filing.

I thought small claims was for disputed debts.
It is. The other party wants to get paid. You refuse or are unable to.

The day I received notice I sent letter and my intention to pay debt as soon as possible along with 8 checks of 25.00 each to Plaintiff. Am I still going to have a judgement found against me when I go to the court date of Oct. 2nd?
Unless you get a WRITTEN notice of dismissal filed with the court, or you fail to show up at the time/date ordered, yes.

I was just wondering how having a judgment against me will affect me in the longterm.
Possible reporting to credit bureaus.
Possible wage garnishment
Possible bank account seizure.
Possible seizure and sale of non-exempt assets.
Interest will accrue on the judgment.
Etc.

BTW, you are the DEFENDANT in this lawsuit... not the plaintiff as shown in your subject line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">