• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

University is claiming I owe tuition - Received Summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thrllkll

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hello, last year I received a notice from a University I previously attended that they were taking me to small claims court for two semesters unpaid tuition. Their claim was not valid as I paid my next to last semester's tuition with a credit card and dropped out in my final semester before any payment was due. The University, in fact, has a policy that a student cannot enroll in a current semester with any unpaid balance, hence it is impossible to owe tuition for two semesters.

A pre-trial conference was scheduled in Nov. 2004 which I appeared for but the University's attorney did not - he had appropriately notified the Court, but I was not notified. I was instructed the conference would be rescheduled. I never did receive a notice of this reschedule and in May 2005, I received a letter stating judgement had been awarded to the University in this case because I had defaulted. Apparently, the pre-trial conference occurred and I never knew about it.

I sent a letter to the Municipal Court explaining the situation, but never received a reply. Now, in September 2005, I have received a summons to appear for non-payment of this debt.

I am looking for some advice in handling this situation. I have a copy of the letter of the sent to the court after realizing I had missed the pre-trial conference, but I have no documentation proving payment of next to last semester or my withdrawal from my last semester (this occurred over 9 years ago - I do not still have the credit card info or the University's withdrawal papers).

What will happen at the Summons hearing - will I be able to present my case and request another hearing in small claims (remember this debt is not valid and is obviously a clerical error on the University's part).

Can my savings or wages be taken to pay this debt? The total debt is $12,000 and combined with my current credit card debt, raises my debt amount to 55% of gross yearly income (not counting my monthly car payment).

Should I bring financial statements to the summons hearing?

Thank you for any advice posted - let me know if there are any questions regarding the details.

Regards,
David

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">