• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Still no title!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DJGGO

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Help,
We bought a used car from a dealership (two partners that after 7 years ended their business--one still owns an auto shop, the other is MIA) that is no longer in business. We've been waiting all month for our title to arrive, and the 30 day temporary tag will expire in 2 more business days. I've been calling the one good number I could find for the partner who owns the auto shop. They've been "looking for the paperwork" for about a week and a half now. We've called them numerous times and no new information. We contacted the local tax commission agency and tag agency to find out if they even have the title registered in their name, they don't! They bought the vehicle from a car auction place and used the car auction in-house finance company to purchase it. The title currently sits at "the state" under the car auction finance company's name. I've talked with them and have been waiting to hear back about what we needs to been done to get the title to the car we purchased.

I would like to know if the used car dealership is required by law to provide us the title within 30 days of purchase/payment (we paid in full with a check, the bank does have a copy)?

If they don't have the title in their possesion and haven't paid off the loan with the finance company--can the finance company repo the car from us?

Do we have any rights to demand a refund of our money if they haven't provided a title in 30 days?

Since the dealership is no longer, can we take legal action against the partner who owns the auto shop?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for answering my questions.
Feeling Scammed,
DJGGO

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">