• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomate Problems!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riderx152

What is the name of your state? I live in CA now, but was living in NYC at the time.

The problem is that when I lived in NYC the cable bill was in my name. I moved to CA at the beginning of July. I left the cable on so that my two roomates could use the internet to find new places to live as per their request. They were both fully aware that when they moved out they would have to return the cable boxes to the cable company. When the second roomate moved out he offered to take the cable boxes in. The third roommate said no because he was going to be there a few more days and needed the cable boxes and the modem. When the third roommate moved out he left the cable boxes at the vacant apartment, and they dissapeared of course. I have been billed 600 bucks for the equipment. Can I seek legal action against roommate #3 for the 600 since he left them?

Thank you

HomeGuru

riderx152 said:
What is the name of your state? I live in CA now, but was living in NYC at the time.

The problem is that when I lived in NYC the cable bill was in my name. I moved to CA at the beginning of July. I left the cable on so that my two roomates could use the internet to find new places to live as per their request. They were both fully aware that when they moved out they would have to return the cable boxes to the cable company. When the second roomate moved out he offered to take the cable boxes in. The third roommate said no because he was going to be there a few more days and needed the cable boxes and the modem. When the third roommate moved out he left the cable boxes at the vacant apartment, and they dissapeared of course. I have been billed 600 bucks for the equipment. Can I seek legal action against roommate #3 for the 600 since he left them?

Thank you
**A: yes you can but you need to sue in NYC. Good luck.

riderx152

Thank you. I thought I would have to sue in NYC. Do you think I would win the case in your opinion. Because i don't want to spend extra money if i am going to lose and have to eat the 600 as well. I know you can't say for sure but someone with legal experience might know what my percentage of winning is. Oh, I also have two witnesses that could testify to the conversation between roommate #2 when he offered to take the equipment from roommate #3 and #3 refused.

Thank you

Last edited:

HomeGuru

riderx152 said:
Thank you. I thought I would have to sue in NYC. Do you think I would win the case in your opinion. Because i don't want to spend extra money if i am going to lose and have to eat the 600 as well. I know you can't say for sure but someone with legal experience might know what my percentage of winning is. Oh, I also have two witnesses that could testify to the conversation between roommate #2 when he offered to take the equipment from roommate #3 and #3 refused.

Thank you

**A: 50/50, more or less, + or -.

seniorjudge

riderx152 said:

Thank you
Since you were responsible for the boxes, it will be very difficult to prove to a judge that someone else had that responsibility.

HG's estimation of your chances (50-50) is overly-optimistic, in my never to be humble opinion.

riderx152

Is it not the same as him borrowing something of mine like a 600 Tv, for example, and then him leaving it behind? The bill is in my name, but he willingfully borrowed the equipment and then left it.

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
Since you were responsible for the boxes, it will be very difficult to prove to a judge that someone else had that responsibility.

HG's estimation of your chances (50-50) is overly-optimistic, in my never to be humble opinion.

**A: I'll only accept your never to be mumble opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">