• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax, 501 (c) 3, Public Entity Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm not sure where to go with this question, but am hopeful that someone here can give me a clue.

The short version:
My daughter's school PTO has filed for and received a tax-exempt status and 501 (c) 3, making donations to them deductible. The problem is that this group is not following it's own by-laws governing the basics, like elections. If the 'proper authorities' were notified, what could happen? Could they loose their status, thus jeopardizing the existence of an organization set-up for the benefit of the students? Who would be the 'proper authorities' to contact anyway?

As you can guess, this is a sticky situation, and I am not trying to blow the whistle and have the organization dismantled. I am worried, however, that the ill considered steps being taken by the current board could put this organization in just this position. I am hoping to track down proof, or at least applicable law, to notify them that continuing on this course could be a fatal mistake, with our kids being the ones to suffer.

Suggestions, advice and applicable law are desperately needed. I only have a week to get this figured out before the fatal moves will be made. Thanks

HomeGuru

Wost case scenario is that the IRS tax exempt status could be yanked. If you are interested in a major case do a search outside of this website using keywords Bishop Estate IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">