• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by a drunk driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

the_lone_voice

What is the name of your state? Michigan

The whole story:
I was hit by a drunk driver. He was served alcohol from 6pm until 10 pm at a local bar, came out of the bar, drove half a block and slammed into me at a red light. I found out my insurance was canceled because of a technicality and have to pay the full amount. My girlfriend and I were brused, sore for a few days, but nothing permanent. At the time of the accident she was prety hysterical, it was a bad crash costing $7000+ in repairs.

Questions:
Can I sue the bar?
If so, for what specifically should I list/not list in regards to the incident?

Can my girlfriend sue the bar on her own behalf?
If so, will pain and suffering and inconvenience (we're forced to share a car) be items we can sue for?
What amount is appropriate for her to ask for, or can she ask for the maximum?

Thanks!

JETX

the_lone_voice said:
Can I sue the bar?
You can sue anyone you want. However, there is NOTHING in your post to suggest the bar was negligent.

If so, for what specifically should I list/not list in regards to the incident?
Don't list 'Martian Invasion' as cause.

Can my girlfriend sue the bar on her own behalf?
See above.

If so, will pain and suffering and inconvenience (we're forced to share a car) be items we can sue for?
Nope. Smail claims is money damages ONLY.

What amount is appropriate for her to ask for, or can she ask for the maximum?
$100 quadrillon or up to $3000, which is the limit of your state small claim. Assume you will get less.

You're welcome.

And next time you want to ask some obscure vague, what-if scenario... please remember us. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">