• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

afraid of getting sued--dog attack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tc1971

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

My neighbors little girl was playing with my daughter out in our yard, my daughter wanted to show them the new rawhide bone that our dog got (6yr male chow mix). We have warned all the children that come into our yard not to go near his pen and run area (he is always chained up, unless my husband or I are right near him). He has never attacked anyone and is extremely loving to those he knows. Well they went into his area anyway, he growled they ran out, but he managed to bite the neighbors daughter on the calf. She required 4 stitches and we offered to pay all the medical bills related to this incident. They declined, we kept him quarintined (sp!) for 10 days as the laws states and took him to the vet today (1 Oct). Before we left for the vet, the dog ran around the yard doing his business and pee'ed on all the bushes, the neighbors other daughter was outside in her yard (which we did not see her) she took off screaming into the house, my dog tried to chase but my hubby yelled for the dog, he stopped and walk backed (duly shamed, but NEVER left the yard). The vet signed off that he is up to date on all shots and submitted the paperwork to the health dept.
Right after my husband left for the vet with the dog, my neighbor showed up on my porch with a GUN under his arm threatening to kill my dog. After listening to him rant and rave for 10 mins, i finally just went back in my house and shut the door in his face. I went to sheriffs office this evening to file a complaint, we don't want to file charges against them. I don't want to start trouble but when he came to my house with a GUN, that was too much. I'm afraid for my other dog who is 10yrs old and very timid, and we had to move the younger dog to my grandmothers for fear of coming home and finding him dead in his pen. The sheriff's deputy said he will have to talk to our neighbor, and now we are worried they will try and retaliate against us.

Where do stand on this and should we really be worried? After all the dog is tied up unless myself or my hubby is with him, and we have warned the kids to stay away from him unless we are there with them.

JETX

tc1971 said:
Where do stand on this and should we really be worried?
Sounds to me like you have LOTS of things to 'worry' about.
Getting sued for damages? Likely
Having your dog problem resolved for you? Likely

After all the dog is tied up unless myself or my hubby is with him, and we have warned the kids to stay away from him unless we are there with them.
Shows to me that you were already aware of the hazards of this dog.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">