• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelling a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srv_827

What is the name of your state? MI

In early July I signed a contract with a campground club. I had tried to cancel the contract, but was too late and I decided to try to stick it out. Unfortunately, I cannot make the payments anymore and the campground isn't anywhere near what the salesman hyped it up to be. I need to find a way out of this contract.

The salesman told me that I could cancel the contract at any time with no penalty, but I am finding out that this company likes to sue anyone trying to get out of a contract. I wasn't going to sign the contract until he told me I could get out free and clear at any time with no legal ramifications. Would this constitute misrepresentation of facts? If so, would this allow me to cancel the contract and get a refund? I have about $2000 invested and still owe about $5000.

If I can use this to get out, how should I go about it? What sort of letter should I write.

Thank you for your time.

shortbus

Write a letter referencing your conversation with him -- "as you recall from our conversation on (day), my purchase was conditioned on your assurances that I could cancel without penalty" etc etc.

contract cancellation

You need to examine the fine print on your contract, or better yet, spend a few $'s and have a local attorney do so. At my old job in California, we routinely provided statements (along with the contract) that we had the customer sign noting that "we put all of our promises in writing" followed by a comprehensive list of promises (in your instance, it would have noted your right to unilaterally cancel the contract). Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">