• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Diluted alcholic beverages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

:eek: Is it illegal for a bar/dining owner to delute the booze they use in their cocktails?

I know the buzz you get after a drink...but after 4 drinks, no buzz? This has happened everytime they are expecting a large crowd.

I could understand doing this to someone who was drunk.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Can't be right

These bar owners are adding water to the bottles of vodka, rum, and brandy...

Now you want a vodka and tonic and 50% of it is water? I thought there was a law against this. Fraud is what I see (and taste).

BelizeBreeze

1000Sparks said:
These bar owners are adding water to the bottles of vodka, rum, and brandy...

Now you want a vodka and tonic and 50% of it is water? I thought there was a law against this. Fraud is what I see (and taste).
Then you "see" through foggy glasses :rolleyes:

nope, don't think so

I order vodka and tonic.

I get water and tonic.

Am charged for vodka and tonic.

There has to be a law against this. (I like this place and they don't alway do this so don't tell me to go some place else, k?)

BelizeBreeze

1000Sparks said:
I order vodka and tonic.

I get water and tonic.

There has to be a law against this. (I like this place and they don't alway do this so don't tell me to go some place else, k?)
O.K. I won't tell you to go someplace else. :rolleyes:

nope...

too many carbs in beer.

This isn't the only place that does this. Why is it that the bar owner has to buy from a distributor and can't just buy it from a liquor store?

To protect the consumer perhaps?

Vodka on the shelf says 80 proof...they are serving 40 proof.

Fraud, no? Deception to the public?

I like my vodka and KNOW when it's diluted.

Gotta be a law, just has to be a law.............. :eek:

HappyHusband

1000Sparks said:
I order vodka and tonic.

I get water and tonic.

You could always go to another place.
Complain to the management, take your own flask, buddy up with the bartender so they can give you the good stuff.

HomeGuru

1000Sparks said:
too many carbs in beer.

This isn't the only place that does this. Why is it that the bar owner has to buy from a distributor and can't just buy it from a liquor store?

To protect the consumer perhaps?

Vodka on the shelf says 80 proof...they are serving 40 proof.

Fraud, no? Deception to the public?

I like my vodka and KNOW when it's diluted.

Gotta be a law, just has to be a law.............. :eek:

**A: there is a law.

What?

I am friends with the management and owners. They think they are pulling a fast one on me. Owner complains about how much it costs to cool the place, heat the place, blah, blah..... How many drinks do they get out of a bottle? and at $3.50+ a drink they are making a mint. The shouldn't be allowed to water it down AND charge me as though I'm get the real stuff.

Sometimes I order a special kind high on the shelf (they only dilute the bar run stuff)...

I thought I heard somewhere this it is illegal but can't find the state statute on this...I really want to know.

I can't mention this to the owner cause he'd deny it and think I was a _______.

I do

HomeGuru said:
I have a solution- go the store, buy the booze there and go home and drink.
I do that too (and it's cheaper) but like to go out with friends and have a few drinks and dinner.

Is there a law against this? Has to be.

If you get a 100% beef sandwich from a restaurant and they serve you turkey trying to make you think it was beef ...that would be illegal, wouldnt' it, like at a fast food place?

Thought fraud was illegal.

OK, I found this

(h) Diluting Liquor

No person shall dilute or add to any fermented malt beverage or intoxicating liquor for the purpose of selling or offering the same for sale from or in any original container. Possession of any original container containing any fermented malt beverage or intoxicating liquor so diluted or added to shall be prima facie proof that the possessor thereof intended to violate the provisions of this subsection.

This is kinda vague. What's this "prima facie proof"? Can't seem to find where there is a fine just that they can't do this. See?

Dang, I should be a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">