• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is brochure is considered part of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skibeauty

is brochure considered part of contract

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I reside in, and attended a 5-day seminar in Texas. I enrolled in the seminar by filling out a form the firm e-mailed to me. Several hours into the seminar, I was asked to leave. This was due to a difference of opinion expressed outside of class, and not the result of interfering in, or undermining, the training. While trying to get a refund, I am only then made a ware of a brochure, which states, “no refunds will be granted for any reason”. Under this scenario, I am very disturbed they would feel justified in retaining my $500. If they wanted me to leave, it seems it should be at their expense, not mine. Thus, I am questioning whether a consumer can be legally bound to a brochure, unless said brochure conditions are addressed in enrollment forms. In my case, since my enrollment form was e-mailed, I never received the brochure in question. Likewise, I do not see this information addressed on their website. Is a brochure considered a contractually binding disclosure in this instance? I can possibly see where the opposite would be true. Where a consumer based a decision on facts expressed in a brochure, which turned out to be misrepresentations. Yet, in my case, it is the consumer is being bound to the brochure. I am sure this will come down to filing in small claims court. Would appreciate your opinions, and views on such a case. THANKS – Jennifer

Last edited:

shortbus

It seems unfair, but courts tend to uphold these type of contracts. But, your argument is reasonable and may succeed, so I would go forward with your claim.

dallas702

Take it to small claims. Tell the judge you want compensation for time off work and any other expenses incurred in order to attend this loser's seminar.

What were you supposed to learn at this seminar?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">