• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate won't pay his share of damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

npoulos

So the damage to our place when we moved out (in Oregon) was about $6000. Sure we couldn've fought the landlord on the $6000, but was probably much cheaper to settle. Landlord agreed to pay 50% which I think was totally fair, we really trashed the place. Minus our $1200 deposit, that brings us a total of $1800, which came out of my pocket to get the landlord off our back. Its very difficult to price exactly who damaged what, so the three of us (all on the lease) broke it up into apx. percentages of 37.5 37.5 and 25. Now my ex-roommate who owes the 25% refuses to pay and is threatening to 'kick my ass' and have people come after me. Obviously that upsets me, and I want to take it to small claims court to have the total equally divided if he wants to be like that. He has paid me $200 cash. Could I take him to small claims court for the other $400 he would owe me?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

npoulos said:
So the damage to our place when we moved out (in Oregon) was about $6000. Sure we couldn've fought the landlord on the $6000, but was probably much cheaper to settle. Landlord agreed to pay 50% which I think was totally fair, we really trashed the place. Minus our $1200 deposit, that brings us a total of $1800, which came out of my pocket to get the landlord off our back. Its very difficult to price exactly who damaged what, so the three of us (all on the lease) broke it up into apx. percentages of 37.5 37.5 and 25. Now my ex-roommate who owes the 25% refuses to pay and is threatening to 'kick my ass' and have people come after me. Obviously that upsets me, and I want to take it to small claims court to have the total equally divided if he wants to be like that. He has paid me $200 cash. Do I have a case here?

**A: a case for what?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">