• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a class action suit against Hewlett Packard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flipz

State: Ohio

I was trying to find out if it would even be worth it to file a class action suit against a large company (Hewlett Packard) and if so, how I would go about it.

Basically the problem is that the power plugs on Compaq (now owned by Hewlett Packard) Presario laptops are made very cheaply, and they break extremely easily, causing the laptop to be unchargeable. Many people have even been told that this isn't covered under their warranty, and are charged several hundred dollars to have it repaired. Mine didn't happen until after 2 years, but has been fixed and broken again 3 times since then. Others have said it's happened within hours of getting their laptop! It effects many different models.

I found a website with hundreds (if not thousands) of posts of people all complaining about the same thing. I posted a message saying I was considering filing a class action suit, and have had MANY people email me saying they would like to be part of it.

I emailed my case to some online place that said they would review it and let me know if any lawyers were interested, and I never heard back from them again. That was about 3 months ago.

Please give me some advice! I know nothing about law. All I know is that if thousands of people have posted on this one message board about their Compaq laptop, there are probably hundreds of thousands who have the same problem.

Thank you,
Brent

Last edited:

shortbus

You still need a legal claim to file a class action. Is there false advertising? Breach of warranty? Misrepresentation? Breach of contract? etc. If it's just a crappy item that breaks often, that's not illegal, just annoying.

Go to www.appleipodsettlement.com to see a recent successful product warranty lawsuit. Perhaps the plaintiff lawyers in that case would be interested in this one. You can find their names in the class notice linked on the site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">